Sunday, April 29, 2012

Purposefully Re-purposing: A Cloth Wipes Tutorial


I apologize in advance for the formatting. I just couldn't seem to get it to do what I wanted it to.

Latest sewing project

Finished wipes in hand-made, Eco-conscious packaging
Momma M asked me to make some more cloth wipes for her out of old Strawberry Shortcake receiving blankets. Total Sewing time: roughly 2.5 hours.
It took me one evening of cutting out the squares for the wipes. Then there was an hour that I had to spend re- threading my Serger. Finally, the actual sewing time was about an hour and a half.
It's actually very therapeutic to sew. The machine provides white noise that is relaxing. There is the thought that I am actually creating something useful. At the very least, my mindless activity produces something to show for the time spent doing it, rather than TV. I think watching it actually leaves me more stressed out because I think about all the things I should be doing instead.
 Lines marked

Cloth Wipes Mini Tutorial

Materials:

Serger with thread
Small Scissors
Fabric marking pen
Rotary cutter and mat
18 " clear ruler with grid
8.5" Quilting square with grid (optional)
Old flannel (in this case receiving blankets)
8" x 8" grid and marked material


Rotary Cutter and Ruler
  1. Lay out material and mark as many full 8"x 8" squares as will fit on your fabric using ruler and quilting square. (left)
  2. Once squares are marked, use rotary cutter and mat (or scissors) to cut out material.
  3. Cut out squares using rotary cutter and ruler (or Scissors) on marked lines. (right)
  4. Serge (or sew). around edges to finish. (below right)
  5. Present cloth wipes to recipient, in my case Momma M.(top of page)

Stacked cut Squares
Serging the edge (close-up)
Serger and finished wipes




    No comments:

    Post a Comment