Monday, February 18, 2013

Engrish strikes again!

Oh! Daiso!

Somehow I managed to lose my little timers I bought from Daiso to use when I am substitute teaching. I thought I might replace them today with essentially more of the same.
Little did I know...

Grammar Queen

For those that _really_ know me, you already know that I am grammar queen, something of which I am rather proud. (Case in point: the lack of dangling preposition in the last sentence. Grammar geeks, you get it, right?)
Well, as I was opening the package of one of the timers, I came across this most beautiful sample of Engrish. No, not English, Engrish.

What is it?

What is Engrish, you ask? It is a well meant attempt to translate from another language that doesn't really account for word order or choice. In some cases, it is token English (just for the sake of having words in English). Clearly a native speaker was not consulted prior to printing.
Typically I find that it is more common in a language like Japanese or Chinese, rather than, say, Spanish (I have studied all three to some extent). It often leads to rather awkward or just downright hilarious syntax, at least from a native speaker's perspective, that can be found on signs or packages. There is a whole website devoted to examples of it, even featuring this one.

For example...

One of the best examples I have ever found was a sign posted in a bathroom stall of a Japanese store which read the following: please flash for the next person. In this case it is easy to figure out that they really meant flush. I also know why the mistake was made: there is no short u sound in Japanese. However, the featured example of Engrish is rather ambiguous.
"All your base are belong to us", right?

Entitled to mine

Keep in mind this is my opinion and my interpretation of Engrish. While this interpretation may seem harsh or judgemental to some, it is meant to be amusing. The rest of the world learns the English language, among others, as a language of commerce, while Americans, in particular, sit back and expect the rest of the world to cater to them. I realize I sound stereotypical, and I have said nothing about at least making an attempt to communicate in another person's language simply out of courtesy or the Americans who become fluent in 3+ languages (and the like). But I digress.

The beauty of randomness

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what the Engrish has to do with a kitchen timer. It is just that random.
So for those of you who get a kick out of this stuff, enjoy!

There is careful use and handling of your backside.
(yellow text)

No comments:

Post a Comment