Thursday, February 23, 2012

What's in Your Diaperbag


You may have seen the Youtube videos of women discussing the contents of their makeup bags or purses... Well, this is the mommy equivalent.

What's in my Diaperbag?


1st row:
  • Wetbag- Because I chose reusable, I need a way to bring them back home without making a huge mess. I throw in a little deodeoizer so it all doesn't stink to high heaven.
  • Toy(s- Really it's an assortment of noisemakers and things Monkey Z can chew on safely.
  • Extra shirt (for me)- Yes, because the one time I decided to downsize, he pooped on everything I was wearing!
  • Swaddle blanket- It makes a great light blanket in case it's not that hot, but it can also be folded over to be thicker. Also, it works as a cover for the infant seat.
  • Nursing cover- I bring this everywhere because I am nursing him. I don't really pump, so I don't have to worry too much about bottles and stuff. It makes for less stuff to carry.
  •  change of clothes/ jacket- Inevitably he will wet or soil something, so he needs a change of clothes. Most likely, he will drool such that his shirt has not a dry thread on the front.
2nd row:
  • Diapers- Duh, it's a diaperbag! But for me, It's cloth exclusively. I use a combination of Flip w/ pre-folds, Econobum, and Bum Genius by Cotton Babies and Grovia. I really do find it to be easy. I just throw everything in the laundry when I get home.
  • Hand Sanitizer- With a baby, you need clean hands!
  • Suction bulb- It looks like something you use for basting but it's actually for suctioning out bogies and other fluid so that baby doesn't choke. If you're a mom, you know.
  • Saline- This is to help with the suctioning, especially if baby is sick.
  • Diaper cream- I use a generic version of Bordeaux's Butt Paste that I get for $1 at Big Lots. Sure beats the $5 more I'd be paying at any other store!
  • Lanolin- Decanted, of course! This is for me because I still nurse, though I haven't really used it.
  • Dirty clothes bag- Much like the wet bag, it keeps his wet/dirty clothes from contaminating everything else.
3rd row:
  • Wipes- Again, I use exclusively cloth for this category. I made my own out of inexpensive cotton flannel and thread. That's it! I use my own solution for wetting them, and I know exactly what's in it. Zany Zebra has many to choose from.
  • Stain Spray- I was using this diligently to pre-treat the wipes, but then I got to thinking... They're wipes, specifically for wiping poop; I gave up. I still treat his clothes with it.
  • Leisure sheet- It's just a plastic sheet much like a blanket to put on the ground so I can let Monkey Z  loose.
  • Camera (often in my purse instead)- I never know when there will be a Kodak moment, and the shutter lag on my phone is ridiculous.
The Diaperbag
Straps: Long- Shoulder, Short- Backpack, Printed-Stroller
Bumble Bag with built in changing pad
I chose my bag for some of its features. It has a changing pad that zips into a flap on the front. It also has 3 sets of straps for added functionality. There is a brand that has a similar style, but you have to pay $20 per strap set in addition to the $150+ dollars you pay for the bag. The only thing is... I love the name: Jujubee. Meep! I bought the Bumble before I knew about the other one.

A note about diapers
Some of you may be a little intimidated by the idea of cloth diapers. Really, it's easy! The one pictured above is my favorite print of Bum Genius- The Albert (as in Einstein). It's an all in one. When it's wet, I take it off, throw it in my diaper pail, and wash it in the machine. When it's dirty, I spray it with my handy dandy diaper sprayer (really a bidet attachment on the toilet), squeeze it out, then throw it in the diaper pail to wait for laundry day. If you'd like to know more, I encourage you to check out the Cotton Babies link above. Just by buying a couple to use at home, you can save a ton of money because, sadly, buying disposable diapers is literally throwing your money away.


Share with us
 So, I know some of my readers are mommies. What do you carry with you? I am interested to know how the contents of your bag differs from mine. Maybe you carry something I didn't think of. Please take a minute to leave a comment and share for the future mommies who come across this page. I know I would have loved to get ideas before Monkey Z came along.

Check out my update here for how my diaper bag contents have changed.


No comments:

Post a Comment