Friday, June 15, 2018

Pokemon Mermaid Party


The Party
So, I'm throwing a joint birthday party for my children. While the monkey wanted a Pokemon party, the elf wanted a Mermaid party. My solution?... Underwater Pokemon and Mermaids.
The Craft
Two of the props I am the most proud of  are the Mermaid crown and tail I made as photo booth props.
Mermaid tail
The majority of supplies I used for this project were from Dollar Tree.  I used a rolls of sequins in a complementing color to a poster board.
I think 4 rolls should be a safe number for a fairly small tail. Hot glue in small sections seemed to work the best. The design was already penciled  on before flying, though. Then, I hole punched the top and wove a ribbon through to tie it around the waist.  Lastly, I covered the top with ribbon for a finished look.

Mermaid crown
This project was not quite as cost effective, but I did get the idea from Pinterest. Luckily most of the materials were on sale at Joanns. I also used a 20% off coupon.

Materials:


Hildie & Jo- tub of assorted beads (pink/purple), plastic (pearl) beads 6mm, seed beads (gold)
Offray 5/8 in x 21 Ft single face ribbon in
pink
Assorted shells that suit your purpose (I used a pack of scallop shells and some from the Dollar Tree bag I bought)
Gold floral wire (Get the thicker one. I forgot to save the package.)
Hand Made Modern semi permanent markers- Acorn & Mocha (from Target)
Mod Lodge Satin
Acrylic crystals and nail deco pearls (already had)
Copious amounts of hot glue (no joke!)

1. Form the wire to the size you need.
2. Decorate shells with marker.
3. Arrange shells and glue them onto the wire.
4. Wrap the wire with ribbon and secure the ends with hot glue.
5. Glue pearls and beads onto shells to hide any flaws and give it an encrusted look.
6. Add seed beads a little at a time.

Caution: This part was difficult and a bit painful with the hot glue, but the hot glue worked better than the Mod Podge I tried the first time. Use common sense and be careful. Hot glue should be used with adult supervision.

7. Finish with a coat of Mod Lodge applied with a foam brush.

Note: The design is a bit front heavy, so you might consider adding some sort of clip or comb to keep it in place.

8. Admire your beautiful creation!...(and mine.😉)

No comments:

Post a Comment