Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Apps that Help

I figured I should post something between now and next year, so it actually looks like I'm keeping up on my blog (*grins sheepishly*).

Today's post will tell you about useful apps, either phone or web based, that I use on my smartphone or computer in some way. FYI I use an LG G6 that runs Android.

Mommyhood

  • Starfall.com/Starfall app- This app provides intellectual stimulation for the young set in the form of games and activities that helps with skills like letter recognition, counting, calendar, songs, etc. I have used this as a teacher and know the value that it provides. With the move toward technology in the classroom, I have also seen it used in current classrooms, as well... my kids are now outgrowing this.
  • Bible App for Kids- We are practicing Christians, which I'm sure I've mentioned. So this app should come as no surprise. I'm not really sure about the actual benefit of it, but I know that my sometimes very silly monkey loves to go into the stories and make the characters repeat their actions to copious amounts of giggles. They do get the exposure to the Bible stories, but then so do most of us at some point. It's more something to do to keep them quiet.
  • Camera/Pixlr - This is standard on phones now, but I do have a budding photographer on my hands who can already handle my old digital SLR. The fun part is the photo editing apps that I've found, as they add words, emoji, icons, etc. I've done really impressive photo shoots with my cell and editing apps.
  • ST Math (aka Jiji)- This is not so much an app as a school grant initiated opportunity. My son has access to it through his school, and not all schools do. Anyhoo, it is grade level math activities that teach and practice the concepts. My son is doing addition and subtraction already and possibly moving on to multiplication (at least at school). And he's a Kindergartener (who is now in 2nd grade as I post this)!!!
  • Google Drive- I use a folder to house the printables/emails I need to be the volunteer job coordinator for my son's class.

Teacherdom

  • Substitute Alert -(I pay for this, my opinion is my own)- I use this app in combination with a Garmin activity tracker to receive notifications from Aesop, the scheduling system of my 2 districts. I chose this one because of its integration with both Aesop and Google Calendar. It imports the job, once accepted, directly into my main default calendar. From there, I can copy the appointment to the specific calendar I want it in. I do feel it has improved my chances of being able to choose when and where I work, but mostly its for the Google integration.
  • Calendly -This scheduling app has a button on my teacher website that allows teachers who have to cover their absences themselves to schedule a day of work with me. It also blocks off time in my Google calendar and allows me to set the time limits and other availability. 
  • Google Calendar- I use this app as my main schedule aside from my paper calendar. (I am a paper girl, after all!) I have calendars for work, church, and personal events.
  • Weebly.com- I have my own teacher website where I post my classroom management techniques, schedule, and portfolio.
  • Google Drive-This holds my printables for communication with teachers. I have a folder for my sub notes to teachers, and I am in the process of creating a paper performance survey, in addition to the digital one on my website.

Me-ness

  • Mint.com/app- This site/app now has a bill reminder feature long absent, but so apropos. If it didn't push all the financial services, I'd probably consider it perfect. I can use it across multiple platforms. It prints reports, downloads my financial information, and let's me set a budget and savings goals, too boot! I can see how my spending was for the week and print purchases in a particular category. Totally worth it. It's free.
  • Pixler/Camera 360/Google photos- with the three of these and all my cell phone photo trinkets, I quite literally have a traveling photo studio. I only need a traveling backdrop. 
  • Pinterest/app- I use this for fashion ideas and when I need a DIY idea. I have a board specifically for sewing and one for recipies.
  • Evernote- It. Stores. Everything! I have everything from kid printables to my volunteer job files and forms to my copious, hand-selected, planner page files. I also clip recipes here because I stopped paying for the meal planner subscription.  
  • Google Drive- (Hmmm...a trend?) For me, as an individual, I use this to house all the printables I've collected over the years in trying to create my ideal planner. Actually, with the Discbound/Arc/Levenger systems, I am almost there! I have come to the point where I have adapted what I've found because its always almost what I need. 
  • Plan to Eat (again, I pay for it, but my opinion is my own)- This is web based, but I like that you can import from other recipe sites and the drag-and-drop feature. I have yet to really maximize this, but I usually wait for the Black Friday sale to renew. UPDATE:  they finally added google calendar integration...don't quote me on that, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment