Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Meet Betty...

Meet Rocketeer Betty, my singer sewing machine model 503A.

 

So, I just posted a bunch of tutorials on making a costume for the elf. I obviously used a sewing machine (that you can see in pictures), and I thought I might introduce her.

I know, I know, its kind of weird to name your sewing machine, but it just seems so appropriate since she is a mid century model.

For those that don't know, my little family and I rent my paternal grandmother's house from my mom. While it's not spacious, it does provide us with a cozy place to call home.

The interesting part is that my grandmother's name was actually Elizabeth. While to the family she was known as "Aunt Lizzy," to the neighbors, she was "Betty." I also remember trying to get my parents to name my sister Elizabeth, but to no avail, so I settled on my sewing machine.

So, how did I come to know my Betty? Well, I used to live in Tustin, Ca, near a thrift store that was run by the Main Place Fellowship. They had a decent selection and even better prices. I always found what I needed for the right price. After a year long stay in Japan, where people take care of their stuff before becoming second hand, and some research on sewing machines, I decided I wanted to buy a vintage machine. I found her at that thrift store through an ebay auction.

I did have my eye on the model 501 that was produced with the variety of stitches built in, however they were pricier. I ended up purchasing Betty and her travel case for about $25 and then buying the presser feet and cams on ebay, separately. At some point, I did find the model I wanted, but the motor had an electrical arc that meant it needed rebuilding. I had also already started investing in the 503 that was Betty.

Later, I purchased a midcentury sewing table with the knee controller. It was different at first, but it's become a very natural way to sew, for me. I especially like that I can fold her away and use the desk as an actual desk.

And please excuse the mess under my table!

She really is a beauty. She was built in the middle of the 20th century and still is a workhorse. In her day, she was very expensive, top of the line, I daresay. 

While the stitches were not built in, they were easy to change, and you didn't have to pay for what you wouldn't use. The diagram to the right in the picture explains changing the cams, while to the left is a simplified stitch chart.

Over the years, I've collected her accessories, including the buttonholer, the darning foot, sock and flatwork darners, monogrammer with circular cams, various presser feet, and the rare overedge  stitch cam and foot.

I still covet the ever elusive (and rather expensive) Deluxe monogrammer and cams, which can cost about $250 for a full set, but is extremely hard to find.

All in all, she's been rather good to me. She can get temperamental at times, but she just keeps on working. I know she still has a long and productive life ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment