Sunday, September 9, 2018

Super Narwhal and Jelly Jolt: a costume tutorial (Narwhal's makeup)

This is part 5 in a 5 part series.

So, the monkey and the elf decided to be Super Narwhal and Jelly Jolt from the Narwhal and Jelly book #2.

In this tutorial, I will discuss how I did the elf and the monkey's makeup. I was looking for something silver-y blue based that would give her an underwater makeup-y look and something I could paint on to create a mask.

For costume makeup,  I like to use NYX because of their color selection. Also, since unicorns are really in fashion right now, its really easy to create a sparkly look. I can just hear her cherubic voice exclaim, "Sparkles!!!" But I digress...


I purchased L.A.Girl HD Long Wear Illuminating Foundation in white, NYX Metallic Glitter in Lumi-lite, and Ulta Beauty Face Highlighting Duochrome stick for the look at Ulta (also so I could get my points). I already had the NYX mixing medium, and Ultimate palette, eyeliner, and Honest Beauty Primer.

A note about makeup and my kids...Normally,  I am very ingredient conscious regarding makeup. I know the foundation doesn't meet my usual standards, so I am using my primer as a layer in between their delicate little faces and the fun dress up make up we are using.

Back to Super Narwhal's makeup... I wanted to create an undersea look. The base layer will be the primer, of course, then a very thin layer of the Ulta highlighter. 


For the eye makeup, I used the 3 blue colors in an ombre look lined with the blue and the sparkles. I may or may not do the sparkles that thick because the elf has Asian eyes. 


For the Jelly Jolt makeup, I will again start with the primer. Since the monkey's costume requires only a yellow mask,  I will only prime around the eyes. The next layer will be white primer set with mineral veil powder. Then, I will mix the two yellow NYX eyeshadows (HS60 and Primal Colors Hot Yellow) with the white foundation and again set with mineral veil. I tried using the mixing medium for the mask, but application to such a big area didn't work so well. 

In my pictures, I also feature some brushes. These are not set in stone, but rather are there to give an idea of what might be useful for applying this particular makeup.  

I am not sure whether or not I will post final pictures of the makeup. If I do, you can expect the face to be covered. 

Update: I am posting final pictures sans makeup. The school decided to ban makeup and masks, to my shagrin! Since Halloween falls in the middle of the week I also decided to forego the makeup (Wednesday being a bath night and all) and instead, we are handing out candy.

Enjoy the pictures! 

My costume (one of them)...

And my hero, Clark Kent (aka B-chan)!

Happy ☺ Halloween 🎃,  all!

No comments:

Post a Comment