Sunday, September 9, 2018

Narwhal, Unicorn of the Sea: costume tutorial (cape)

This is part 2 in a 5 part series.

The elf decided to be Super Narwhal of the Narwhal and Jelly books for the school dress up occasion. 

Today's tutorial will cover the cape.

I found a piece of yellow fabric for the cape at my local Savers for $2 during the Labor Day sale. Win! I also just happened to have an old cape laying around from the monkey's old Lightning McQueen costume... hand painted, by the way.

 I laid it out and added about 4 inches to make it longer.

Using a 24" hip curve ruler and a (broken 😥) 12" curve  ruler I connected the extension measurements. 

Then I cut out the half circle. Next I stitched the seams and pressed them.

Then Iadded a piece of double fold bias tape made from the yellow fabric around the neck to finish the edges. I also added the ribbon. By the way, I don't claim to have mad sewing skills, as evident from my seam line, just that I am doing this for fun and to upcycle.

 

Lastly, I used a zig zag stitch to add a ribbon to tie it on.

Aaaand, cape, done!


No comments:

Post a Comment