Sunday, September 9, 2018

Narwhal, Unicorn of the Sea: costume tutorial (horn headband)

This is part 3 of 5 in a series.

So, the elf decided to be Super Narwhal from the Narwhal and Jelly book # 2. 

Being the crafty mom I am, I couldn't just buy something already made. I had to design and make it myself. (I don't think I did enough dressing up as a kid.)

Part 3 of my series walks you through making a headband.  Note: I did watch a YouTube video to help me with this.

Also, a trip to Hobby Lobby is in order. Or since unicorns are really popular right now, you could try to remove the ears on a pre existing one, then doctor it up.

I used a baby photo prop unicorn horn (sorry no before pic) and tore off the elastic and hot glue. I bought a flat jewelry piece to glue on to the head band, as well as a narwhal charm (it was just too cute) that I found. I also had to buy a few spacers so that you could see the narwhal under the fluff of the tulle. 

The color scheme is a silver color that goes with the gray of the pants and shirt.

I already attached the charms to the flat jewelry piece. I had to attach extra jump rings so that the charm would face forward. 

Next I hot glued the horn to the flat piece, taking care to make the horn point up.

After that cooled down, I attatched the flat piece to the head band with the felt over it to stabilize. I used hot glue for this, too.

Headband, done.

No comments:

Post a Comment