Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Kickstarting my blog with help from Edublogs


But what does this have to do with saving money and living eco-friendly? Nothing really, except that it is related to the fact that I have a blog, and I want it to be the best that I can possibly make it. So, please humor me and read this post. Share a comment, even. I would love to hear from you!!

I am always looking for ways to improve the reading experience for my audience. Since I consider this blog as practice for a classroom website I plan on creating for my future classroom, I am using tips from the Free Tech for Teachers post about being a better blogger. From the tech website, I followed a link to the Edublogs' Teacher Challenge. Since I have already started a blog, I decided I would like to do the more advanced challenges offered, so for the extension activity (of day 1), the teacher challenge would like me to write a post on my blog to tell you more about me such as:
  • Why did you join the Teacher Challenge’s 30 Days to Kick Starting your Blogging?
I am joining the Teacher Challenge a little late, but I still would like to improve my blog. I consider myself a little tech savvy, however, something like html terrifies me just a little. Also, keeping this blog seems to give me an outlet so that I do not pounce on B-chan when he walks through the door. Equally, it keeps Monkey Z and I from driving each other batty. Sure, the cleaning may not get done as much, but I don't clean while the little one is napping anyway... Back to the point. I would like to improve my blogging so that when I have my own classroom (if that ever happens), I am able to use technology to help my students explore, understand, and thrive in their education.
  • Why do you want to learn more about blogging?
I enjoy learning in general, which is probably why I became a teacher. More specifically, I believe that using this medium in an educational setting allows for creativity with challenge. It's so important for educators to teach the next generation to embrace technology, but to do it with restraint. As many people are learning through Twitter and Facebook, not everything is meant to be broadcast for everyone to read. My aim is to learn how to do it, so that I can help guide my students.
Also, I would like to increase traffic to my site. I'd like to think that what I have to say is important to someone.
  • What aspects of blogging have you struggled with?
I have struggled with tweaking the look of the blog. I want it to be easy to read and pleasing to the eye. I know that I have come across websites that are disorganized or underdeveloped. They make me feel impatient because I can't find what I need or there is too much going on.
Now that I have a theme, I am afraid that my title and URL don't match my theme. I chose them long before I started blogging seriously. Keeping my content as interesting as possible is difficult because I feel like I am repeating what other people have said or it's just not that important. I have done some things to improve the traffic flow that I didn't think I could do.


I would love to know how you have improved your blog. Please share your tips and comments about what has worked and what has been difficult for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment