Thursday, April 12, 2012

Coughing Monkey


If you're wondering why it's been a while...
So, this daycare I'm using is supposed to help me get more work, right?! Wrong. Instead of allowing me to work 3 additional days, the fact that they allow sick children into their facility has cost me, not one, but three days worth of work, two doctor visits, and a prescription, to boot!
The whole point of using a daycare is to allow parents to work. How can we work if our children get nasty bacterial infections from two, count them, two other coughing children?! Those are only the ones I saw. I specifically questioned the director about the sick children policy. She said that they need to be fever and diarrhea free for 24 hrs before returning. Apparently, there is no consideration for infectious disease. That was one of the reasons I tried to find care for my child in my own home. I wasn't looking for a nanny because I am home enough to be a mother to my child. However, I do need someone who has the flexibility to allow me to work on call while not depending upon me for a full time income. Yes, I tried Sittercity and Care.com. The one person I did end up hiring bailed on me and gave me a week's notice to find a replacement. Finding her took 2 months!!
OK, rant is done now. I just wish people would be more considerate. My child has gotten sick twice now because other parents either let them run loose (see this post) or don't keep them home when they're sick. Better yet, teachers/directors aren't aware of the health conditions of the children for which they care. OK, I really am done now.
The hardest thing was watching my little Monkey Z struggle to breathe. On several occasions, he has coughed to the point of vomiting. While I would rather have not given him a course of antibiotics at this age, I am encouraged by the improvement in his condition. At the very least, we will get him completely off night feedings as a result of this (and at last, that ever elusive night of sleep).

No comments:

Post a Comment