Sunday, September 9, 2018

Jelly Jolt, the Super Sidekick: costume tutorial (jellyfish)

This is part 4 in a 5 part series. 
The elf decided to be Super Narwhal,  so the monkey decide to be Jelly Jolt, Narwhal's sidekick.

For this costume, I'm going to dress the monkey in blue and use a blue umbrella to make the jellyfish shape. Then, instead of sewing a mask,  I will paint on a mask using make up.

Enter Pinterest...and B-chan. I got the idea for this costume on Pinterest.

Materials:

Umbrella (color and shape of your choice)

Ribbon

Dollar store battery operated lights

Tape (not pictured) 

Stapler (not pictured) 

My 2 requirements for this costume were that it be able to fold up and be taken apart at the end to be used as a real umbrella. So my dear, sweet, B-chan set to work taking photos for me and assembling said umbrella jellyfish one rainy October Saturday afternoon. 

First he rigged up the umbrella on a chair so that he could work on it. He used a couple of bungees, a work clamp, and my kid's fairy cleaning wand (read: bottle brush).

Then he set about measuring and cutting up the ribbon for the tentacles. I bought some sparkling, some wavy, and some satin, along with some tulle. All were in a blue that matched the umbrella. 

Once he had them cut and laid out, he arranged them on the umbrella and used my cute little mini stapler from Daiso to attach them.

Then he attached the battery pack with tape.

Finally, he set to work on attaching the lights. This seemed to be the hardest part, as he had to re-do it. The first time he doubled the lights along the spokes. Unfortunately, our light string was too short for that. He regrouped and followed a spiral pattern that I suggested. 

Finished product!

Turn it upside down, put everything in, and it folds!

No comments:

Post a Comment